Latin Link is committed to safeguarding your privacy. Please read the following policy to understand how your personal information will be treated. This policy may change from time to time, so please check back periodically.
1.1. Latin Link values everyone who engages with us. We take your privacy seriously and we are committed to do all we can to protect your privacy and be transparent about what information we hold about you. This Policy sets out how we will handle your Personal Data securely and in accordance with your rights.
1.2. If you use our website, or provide us with any personal information, we will bring this Policy to your attention so that you are fully aware of how your information will be used and disclosed.
2.1. It’s important that you read the full policy to understand what information we hold, how we may use it and what your rights are. But here’s a quick summary:
● We only collect the Personal Data that we need. Personal Data is any information that can be used to identify you.
● We collect data from information that you give us directly (e.g. when you make a donation); information from your use of the Latin Link website (e.g. details of pages visited); information that we get as a result of your giving information to other organisations (e.g. JustGiving or Stewardship); and information from public sources (including information that can be accessed through search engines like Google.)
● We do not collect sensitive data (e.g. medical data) unless there is a clear reason to do so.
● We use your information for a variety of purposes. Some of the most common ones include: keeping you up-to-date with our latest news and prayer requests; asking for financial support; processing donations; dealing with queries; or storing your data to make it easier for you to provide information when you come back to our website.
● We never sell your data to other organisations or allow them to use data for their own purposes. But we do share information with organisations who deliver services to us (e.g. payment processing). We also share information where we are legally obliged to do so.
● We use a variety of legal bases of processing. We make extensive use of legitimate interests in using postal communications for direct marketing.
● We do our best to keep your data safe and secure.
● We only store data for as long as necessary for the things we need to do
● You have many individual rights over your data and we respect these at all times
3.1. Latin Link works in partnership with churches to send and receive mission workers (individuals, families and teams) to and from Latin American communities, to share the love of God.
3.2. Our vision is to see vibrant, Bible-believing Christian communities in every part of Latin America, impacting their neighbours, their societies, and the wider world. Our mission workers partner with local Christians to meet a diverse range of needs, from caring for street children to training church leaders; from supporting prisoners to generating employment opportunities. We believe that sharing the gospel means addressing both practical and spiritual needs.
3.3. We work through three inter-related programmes:
● Step: Short-term teams for 2-16 weeks
● Stride: Individual and family placements for 6-24 months (and shorter student placements)
● Stay: Longer-term individual and family placements for more than 3 years
3.4. Latin Link is registered in England as a charity, number 1020826.
3.5. Latin Link is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office as a data controller under registration number Z6592126. You can find out more about our registration by visiting https://ico.org.uk and looking for information under our registration number.
3.6. Latin Link’s registered address is 87 London Street, Reading, RG1 4QA.
● e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
● writing to our registered address; or
● calling us on 0118 957 7100
4.1. We will only ever collect information we need, including data to help improve our service, or which you agree we can collect. Personal Data is any information that can be used to identify you. For example, it can include information such as your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, bank account details, or credit/debit card details.
4.2. Personal Data also includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses (the location of your computer on the Internet), details of web pages visited and files downloaded.
4.3. We collect information from the following sources (each of which is explained in more detail below):
● Information that you give us directly;
● Information from your use of our website;
● Information that we get as a result of you giving permission to other organisations;
● Information from public sources.
4.4. Information that you give us directly: we collect Personal Data each time you deal with us, for example if you apply to participate in one of our programmes, make a donation, request materials or information, engage with our social media, complete a survey, questionnaire or feedback form, or otherwise provide us with personal information. Please note that you do not have to disclose any of this information to browse our website.
4.5. Information from your use of our website: we collect non-personal data such as Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, details of pages visited and files downloaded. Website usage information is collected using cookies. For information, please see our Cookies Policy.
4.6. Information that we get as a result of your giving permission to other organisations: on occasions, we collect information from fundraising sites where you have given your consent to support Latin Link. These sites include Stewardship, Charities Aid Foundation, Just Giving, Virgin Money Giving, Give As You Live, and Giveacar. We may also collect information that you make available on social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. You should check their privacy policies to find out more information on how they will process your data.
4.7. Information from public sources: We may collect information available from public sources to gain a better understanding of our supporters so that Latin Link can be as relevant to you as possible, and we can tailor any requests for support that we might make. Such information may be found at places such as Companies House, or published online and accessed through search engines such as Google.
4.8. Sensitive/special categories of data: Data Protection regulations recognise that certain categories of data are sensitive. They include: racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, religious or philosophical beliefs, health or sexual orientation. We do not collect sensitive data unless there is a clear reason for doing so. For example, we do collect medical history and information about theological beliefs when individuals apply to participate in our programmes. We collect information about membership of churches and/or prayer groups when this is appropriate and relevant.
4.9. Under 16’s: If you are aged 16 or under and would like to get involved with us, or make a donation, please make sure that you have your parent or guardian’s permission before giving us your personal information.
5.1. Latin Link will use your Personal Data for the following purposes:
● to communicate with you, including sending you information about products and services which we think may be of interest to you. This will include: (i) keeping you up to date on news and stories about Latin Link’s work through publications such as the bi-annual Latinfile magazine (ii) asking for financial support (for example through fundraising appeals, no more than twice a year) or non-financial support such as prayer;
● to process donations you give us, including administering Gift Aid. This includes donations online (such as our web donation page) or offline (such as letters enclosing a cheque);
● to process applications to participate in one of our programmes (Step, Stride or Stay);
● to contact you via e-mail, phone or mail to thank you, answer queries or deal with complaints;
● to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
● to store your data to pre-populate fields to make it easier for you to provide information when you return to our website;
● to validate your Personal Data (and, in some cases, match it against information that has been collected by a third party) to check that the Personal Data we hold about our customers/users is accurate, consistent and up to date
● to comply with any legal obligations to which we are subject;
● in pursuit of our legitimate interests, such as defending our legal rights.
5.2. Direct marketing: The provision of Personal Data for the purposes of direct marketing is voluntary. You can choose at any time which marketing materials you want to receive from Latin Link. If there is something you would prefer not to receive, please e-mail us at email@example.com or select “unsubscribe” on the relevant marketing communication. Alternatively, write to us at Data Protection, Latin Link, 87 London Street, Reading, RG1 4QA or call us on 0118 957 7100.
5.3. If you would like to update the Personal Data we hold about you, please contact us with your request by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, write to us at Data Protection, Latin Link, 87 London Street, Reading, RG1 4QA or call us on 0118 957 7100.
5.4. Using website data:
5.5. We never sell your data to other organisations or allow them to use data for their own purposes.
5.6. We do share information with other organisations which provide a service to us. These include: third party payment companies such as Stripe, GoCardless, and RBS Worldpay who process online donation payments for us; Mailchimp who send out e-mails on our behalf and other companies who print and post our magazine, prayer resources or fundraising appeals. We will take steps to ensure that these service providers enter into compliant processing agreements with us, and we will require their confirmation that appropriate controls are in place, so that your Personal Data is processed in accordance with applicable data protection legislation.
5.7. We do share data where we are under a legal obligation to do so (for example, Gift Aid audits by HMRC) or to protect Latin Link (for example in cases of suspected fraud).
6.1. We rely on a variety of legal bases for processing Personal Data depending on the purpose of the activity being undertaken.
6.2. We rely on legitimate interests for a variety of purposes, such as sending you materials through the post (known as direct mail), including:
● Latest news about Latin Link (currently done through Latinfile magazine);
● Prayer materials (we will only send these to those individuals who have asked for them. We will never assume that you want prayer materials);
● Appeals for financial support (no more than twice a year);
● News about upcoming events, such as invitations to Inspire! conferences (Latin Link’s annual gatherings of people interested in mission to and from Latin America), re-unions of Latin Link members who have worked in Latin America, and local supporter events;
● Re-contacting those who have participated in the short-term Step programme, as well as members who have served on the Stride and/or Stay programmes.
● Using Personal Data during the recruiting process for participants in our Step, Stride and Stay programmes and for keeping records of the process. Processing data from applicants allows us to manage the selection process, assess and confirm a candidate’s suitability for placement and decide to whom to offer a placement. It also enables us to deliver administrative services e.g. organising flights and insurance.
6.3. In relying on legitimate interests, we balance the interests of Latin Link alongside your rights and freedoms, having due regard for your reasonable expectations about the use of your Personal Data. We have written Legitimate Interest Assessments to show how we have come to these decisions. These Assessments are available on request. Please contact us by e-mailing email@example.com. Alternatively, write to us at Data Protection, Latin Link, 87 London Street, Reading, RG1 4QA or call us on 0118 957 7100.
6.4. We use consent for all e-mail activity relating to news and fundraising appeals. Every e-mail you receive provides a clear opportunity for you to unsubscribe from future e-mails. Alternatively, you can unsubscribe by contacting us by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, write to us at Data Protection, Latin Link, 87 London Street, Reading, RG1 4QA or call us on 0118 957 7100. 6.5. We use compliance with a legal obligation as the basis of processing for any legally required activities such as HMRC’s requests for information in response to Gift Aid audits.
7.1. Security: We place great importance on the security of all Personal Data held by Latin Link and have taken steps to have in place appropriate technical controls to protect your privacy.
● The information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers, which are routinely maintained with encrypted backups, a firewall, and fully patched systems.
● The network has restricted access, with password policies, email filtering, business-level antivirus/security products, secure remote access only, and regular monitoring.
● The servers are located in a secure room with limited access to authorised personnel only.
● Folder and file permissions mean that personal data is only accessible to the appropriate personnel.
● Where online forms are used, these are encrypted.
● Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We will do our best to protect your Personal Data, but we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. 7.2. Payments:
● If you give online using a credit or debit card, or set up a Direct Debit online, then Latin Link does not store your bank or card details. These transactions are undertaken securely by third party providers.
● Credit or debit card details will be passed to our payment processing provider Stripe, who will process them securely. Stripe is certified to PCI Service Provider Level 1, which is the most stringent level of certification available. More information can be found on their website: Stripe.com
● If you provide your bank account details to set up a Direct Debit, these will be passed to our payment processing provider GoCardless, who will process them securely. GoCardless are a BACS approved bureau and are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority as an Authorised Payment Institution. All monies collected by GoCardless are held in a designated client monies account. More information can be found on their website: GoCardless.com
● If you give via the Latin Link International website (www.latinlink.org) your credit or debit card details will be passed to our payment processing provider Worldpay, who will process them securely. Worldpay ensure that your online purchase details are encrypted using complex logarithm methods. More information can be found on their website: Worldpay.com
7.3. Transferring your information outside Europe: Although most of the information we store and process stays within the UK some information may be transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). We will, however, always use every reasonable effort to ensure sufficient protections are in place to safeguard your Personal Data. We use cloud based systems to process data and therefore data may be processed outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). We adopt the Information Commissioners’ approved measures and therefore ensure that Personal Data is held in compliance with European data protection regulations. We take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is stored and processed securely in accordance with this policy. By submitting your Personal Data you agree to this transfer, storing and processing of your information. Should you travel outside the EEA to serve with Latin Link, we may need to share personal information with partners who deliver our work in overseas locations. For example, this may include sensitive Personal Data such as medical information. When we do, we will make you aware of the data being transferred and seek your consent to do so.
8.2. We have a data retention policy to implement this and procedures relating to different kinds of data. We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity and then it will be archived, deleted, or destroyed, as appropriate.
8.3. For example, there are legal requirements around the retention of data relating to donations. We will retain details of donations for seven years to meet the requirements that HMRC sets for Gift Aid audits.
8.4. Personal data for applicants and participants in our programmes has specific requirements and systems, as it can include sensitive data, for example relating to medical or pastoral issues. After your placement has finished with Latin Link selected data will be stored in our archive records indefinitely. Any remaining data will be deleted.
8.5. If you request that we stop sending you marketing materials (news, prayer, or funding appeals) we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
8.6. Legacy income is vital to the running of the charity. We may keep data you provide to us indefinitely, to carry out legacy administration and communicate effectively with the families of people leaving us legacies. This also enables us to identify and analyse the source of legacy income we receive.
8.7. Where your information is no longer required we will ensure that it is disposed of in a secure manner.