Latin Link Members Benja and Ruth are creating a new church community in Chile
Benja and Ruth Curín work in Temuco, in the south of Chile. Economically, Temuco is the poorest region of Chile and has various social challenges, including high levels of alcoholism. With growing numbers of prosperity theology churches, there is a great need for good, Bible-teaching churches, to see lives transformed through the grace of Jesus. Benja and Ruth have a great passion for Chile and a calling to serve its people by sharing the gospel and growing the church. Benja is Chilean and studied for three years in the Anglican Bible college in Santiago. Ruth is English and has worked with Latin Link in Chile for 11 years, first with university students and then developing the Step and Stride programmes there. They married in 2010 and have two children, Matias and Abigail.
Now, Benja and Ruth work with the Anglican church in Temuco, leading a new church plant. They are involved in many activities which you can pray for. These include: evangelistic courses, linking the church to the community, Bible studies, and training a church planting team – all in addition to the work of being parents!
- PRAY that the church can be effective in communicating the gospel of grace – evangelism is difficult because many people have been damaged by false churches.
- PRAY for a building to rent for the church’s Sunday meetings and that God will provide the economic resources for this.
- PRAY for the fruit of the gospel to be shown in lives transformed by Jesus.
Pray for Chile
- PRAY for peace and an end to violence. Conflict in our region continues to grow between the Mapuche people and the police force. Now there is a special anti-terrorist command in the region that has provoked several abuses
of indigenous rights.
- PRAY for the church. Chile has long been conservative in terms of values, but it is changing rapidly. As society is polarised by ethical debates, many churches are also absorbed by these issues. Pray that they can focus on the good news of Jesus.